Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Thing 15

I have many thoughts about the future of libraries. I kept my 3 daughters in mind as I read all the commentaries. Just a few weeks ago I told my middle college daughter to head to the library to study. Well, that is definitely not how or where they study now. The library for my 20 and 16 year olds is strictly for finding a fun book to read or renting a DVD for the weekend. I have watched and participated in helping both daughters and all their information, research , and tools are primarily from the internet. It is interesting to watch all three. The ages of the girls are 24, soon to be 21 and 16. Without a doubt the computer skills increase as you go down the line . My 16 year old is better and faster than both of them. I really feel like a dinosaur!
I agree with Rick Anderson that education is key. We are beginning with young children in elementary school and working our way up , but those of us that are finished with school still need that education and as the systems change and rapidly advance, continuing education will be key. My 24 year old daughter in graduate school has told me that she feels like she is not keeping up with current trends and capabilities. She sees her little sister passing her up so quickly in skill level on the computer and with technology. WoW! If she feels behind, where does that leave me. I worry that the changes are happening so fast, people like me will not be able to keep up. So, my job then becomes to do my best to stay connected to programs like this that keep me involved in the current of worldwide information. I am trying to share my information with my 86 year old father who likes to be on the computer, has a digital camera and an ipod. Continuing to motivate and educate all ages is a recipe for success.

No comments: